Fragrant Basmati Stuffed Camel
If, like me, you’re lucky enough to have a flock of free-range camels living on your balcony, feel free to double the volume of ingredients and pop one in the deep freeze for when unexpected guests drop by.
- 1 whole camel, medium size
- 1 whole lamb, large size
- 20 whole chicken, medium size
- 60 eggs
- 12 kg rice
- 2 kg pine nuts
- 2 kg almonds
- 1 kg pistachio nut
- 110 gallons water
- 5 lbs black pepper
- Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken.
- Boil until tender.
- Cook rice until fluffy.
- Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel.
- Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice.
- Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice.
- Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice.
- Broil over large charcoal pit until brown.
- Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice.
- Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts.
- Serves a friendly crowd of 80-100.
Delicious when paired with any full-bodied cheeky Barossa Shiraz, preferably with hues of berry and chocolate, and hints of gunpowder.